28 May, 2010

12056 photos.

In my search for a place to store my photos, I have settled on Picasa Web Albums. You should know that a good backup system includes offsite storage, so just keeping them on external hard disks won't work. Google offers pretty good value for money - US$5 a year for 20 GB of storage, and I think Google is a pretty reliable company, so they won't go bust or lose your photos. You don't want to have to upload them twice.


So far, it works well. I like their web uploading software for OS X. It's small, works and there's no library to handle like the full Picasa. You can perform some basic organising in the browser like deleting or moving a lot of photos. Not as much as Flickr though.

After uploading all my photos, I've used 9.47 GB. Currently, only 1 album is visible to public. I'd put more, but I need consent from people in the photos. It's too troublesome to move public photos into separate albums.

Wishes
  • More stats, like total number of photos (I calculated that manually)
  • Public/private settings for individual photos? I know this is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment