06 October, 2011

iPhone 4S

(I'm trying to condense everything into 1 post, unlike what I did for the iPhone 4)
On 4 Oct 2011, Apple used the above picture to invite people to their Cupertino HQ for the event "Let's talk iPhone."At the event, they announced the iPhone 4S, iOS 5, iCloud and some new iPods.

iPhone 4S vs iPhone 4
At a glance, here are the changes (source):
  • Up to 64 GB
  • Dual-core A5 processor
  • Camera upgraded to 8 MP with f2.4 aperture
  • 1080p video recording
  • GSM & CDMA
  • Front camera, screen, dimensions, weight and battery life almost the same
I would add Siri, the new voice command function.

My first reaction, along with the general consensus, is that there aren't as many changes as I expected. I think it's even a smaller change than from the 3G to the 3GS, which increased the battery life, added a compass and autofocus to the camera (http://mbni.blogspot.com/2010/09/iphone-4-meta-post.html). Then again, if you look at their pattern: iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S. It's alternating between big changes, where they change the form factor and add many new features, and slight modifications. So we shouldn't be too surprised.

That's only for the hardware side of things. Looking at the iPhone 4S video, I noticed nobody's paid much attention to Siri, and it looks REALLY promising. In fact, if it works as well as they claim, I'd say Siri alone is a bigger change than the others combined. I wonder: just how advanced is it? We know it can search for things, and it probably can't solve complex mathematical equations, so it's somewhere in between. So just what exactly can it do? I think the previous Voice Control wasn't used as much because there was no list of functions and people didn't know about some of them (telling the time and date). It seems there are 2 innovations in one: voice to text and comprehending text. The last thing I want to say is I hope it works for more accents than they claim, or its use is going to be limited.

Am I going to get one? For now - no. I'll try to get a 1 year contract so I can get the next iPhone (which should be a big upgrade) next year.

iPhone 4S hardware
to be added

No comments:

Post a Comment