09 December, 2010

Change display avatar for People in Picasa Web Albums

Face detection is now standard among photo management software. Facebook, iPhoto and Picasa Web Albums have it. I believe if you're going to spend hours organising and tagging your photos, they should be permanent, that means you should be able to share/export them, and they shouldn't be in a proprietary format (bye, iPhoto). Otherwise, the software may become outdated or you won't be able to share photos with other people, which defeats the purpose.

To that end, I am using Picasa Web Albums to tag my photos. The system seems very good - for each person, you have a name, nickname and email address. You can share all a person's photos with them at once. They say the contacts sync with Gmail, but I think that's only for the email address, you can't sync the photo yet.

One problem I've discovered is sometimes you're stick with a goofy looking photo as the avatar for a certain person. I think the avatar used is the first photo tagged. I couldn't find a way to change the avatar online, but I discovered another method.

Here, I'm not happy with my avatar. I'd rather use the last picture.

Click on the picture you want, delete the person, and add a new one.

In the People tab, select both people and click on merge (at the top)

 Save the new contact's information

 Edit the resulting contact to add the information

Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment