14 September, 2010

Griffin Reveal Etch Graphite

I got my iPhone 4 case today, courtesy of the free case program! I ordered it on 3 Aug 10 and originally it was supposed to arrive on 1 Oct, but I guess they found more stock.
It's a pretty plain case. No instructions, no features written on the packaging, no screen protector. I guess this is what comes from having guaranteed buyers. All the iPhone 4 cases I've seen come with screen protectors, except those sold without packaging at phone shops.
It's called "graphite" because the back has a carbon fibre pattern. No, it has no carbon fibre at all, it's just a pattern. If it were made of carbon fibre, it wouldn't be on the back, where there is no stress on the case. This pattern protects against fingerprints, scratches, and feels interesting when using the phone.
The back is polycarbonate. Maybe because it's thin, the back is quite flexible. The sides are TPU, I think. They feel like flexible plastic. Overall the case feels like a TPU case, but slightly more rigid because of the PC back.
TPU seems to be all the rage now. In the past, it was silicone. I have a silicone cover for my iPod Touch, which trapped dust and scratched the back, so I'm wary of silicone now. Compared to silicone, TPU is stiffer. TPU cases can stand up on their own, while silicone will just collapse. PC is harder again than silicone, and some cases are made only of PC - for example, those transparent "crystal" ones. I don't like those either, they crack ridiculously easily. All those I've used for my phones have cracked in a few months. This PC feels more flexible, so I hope it lasts longer. I wonder how they bond the PC to the TPU. If not done properly, this will be the weak point of the case.
The case is a good fit. The power and volume buttons are covered. I like how the back is protected, and because of the case's thickness, the camera is slightly protected too. I hope it doesn't let dust in. I used to use a Gecko Edge case which only covered the edge of the iPhone. Compared to that, this case is slimmer, about the thickness of a TPU case. I like how the edge of this case extends lower than the back, meaning the case actually rests on its edges when on a table. This means the back is less likely to get dirty/scratched, and since the TPU edge has more friction than the PC back, it's less likely to slide.
Some cases are said to block the camera flash, so I tested that too. This seems ok.

Overall, this is a closely-fitting case which combines TPU and PC, trying to get the benefits of both. It's one of the slimmest around and the design shows good thinking. If you're thinking of what case to get, I'd recommend you consider the material first - silicone, TPU, polycarbonate (in order of increasing stiffness), or something more exotic (leather, wood, real carbon fibre)?

Update 6 Nov 2010
After using this case for almost 2 months, I can now write a more complete review of it. I'm very satisfied with it. It sells for AUD$39, and if it came with a screen protector, I'd buy it. It has performed admirably, protecting and yet not getting in the way, everything a good case should be.

I've found the main problem with this type of "soft" cases is that the long edges become loose and don't fit the phone well, allowing dust to get in. This case is stiff enough to prevent that happening. The only place where it happens is the bottom:
Where the material is extra thin because of the cut-out, it separates from the phone more easily. I've pushed it away with my finger in the picture so you can see the gap. This doesn't happen often.

I love how it covers the buttons. Some cases leave the entire top and bottom exposed, especially those plastic snap-on ones, but that's not enough protection for me. I also love how it's so thin and adds no noticeable bulk to the phone.

One problem is with the case on, it won't fit into the official iPhone 4 dock. No case will. Even the Invisibleshield won't. Many people are complaining about the dock's design - just look at the Apple Store questions and answers. This led me to find a dock that fits it (a separate post later).

No comments:

Post a Comment