01 October, 2009

WD My Book Studio Edition

I just got this (1 TB) to backup my stuff. Since I have to backup my girlfriend's MB Air as well, I needed to get one that's bigger than our combined HDD capacities (620 GB). Originally I wanted to get one with gigabit ethernet interface, since that's the fastest interface on my MBP, but I found you need a router to use the My Book World, and other NASes were too expensive (because they supported multiple disks etc.) So I got this, which has Firewire 800, instead.
The Firewire connector is wierd, it doesn't click when you insert it like USB connectors. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Anyway, I've tested it against USB. To copy about 1.5 GB of files, Firewire 800 took 2:10 while USB took 2:40. It wasn't a very precise test.

Before I got this, I read some reviews online and most of them had comments saying the drive died after 6 months, couldn't get recognised etc. After reading those I didn't want to get a WD drive, but when I read the Seagate reviews, they had similar comments. In the end I got this since I couldn't find any Seagate drives with Firewire 800 in shops. I'm hoping their 5 year warranty and Officeworks' good return policy are enough, and surely those reporting problems are only a fraction of people who bought the drive?

No comments:

Post a Comment