Terrorist attacks in Brussels, Belgium airport and metro
Terrorist bomb kills at least 70 in Lahore, Pakistan
Egyptair flight 181 hijacked. Passenger takes picture with hijacker. Hijacker had fake explosives and an issue with his ex-wife.
SMRT has fatal accident
Documents from Panamian law firm Mossack Fonesca leaked, exposing hidden assets of government leaders worldwide
PM Lee Hsien Loong and sister Dr Lee Wei Ling disagree on Lee Kwan Yew's commemorations
Death of Prince
4-year-old boy gets into enclosure of Harambe the gorilla in Cincinnati Zoo, officials shoot and kill the critically endangered ape. Of course people are split into approval and disapproval.
Japanese parents leave 7-year-old son in bear-infested forest as punishment, he gets lost for 6 nights. This is a bad month for parenting.
Death of Muhammad Ali
Alice Fong loses temper and rails at deaf and mute cleaner at JEM food court, then threatens to sue the internet
2-year-old boy snatched and killed by alligator in a lagoon near Disney World, Florida. What is happening to kids these days?
Shooting in gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida. 50 dead.
UK votes to leave the EU
SIA flight SQ368 to Milan turns back after 2 hours due to oil leak, lands at Changi Airport, then an engine catches fire.
28 June 2016 - Terrorist attack at Istanbul airport, Turkey. SIA flight SQ392 turns back 5 hours into its flight. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Atat%C3%BCrk_Airport_attack
15 July 2016 - Attempted coup in Turkey. SQ392 turns back AGAIN. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Turkish_coup_d'%C3%A9tat_attempt
It's a bad time for lifts and escalators. I thought it was just China, but it's spreading to Singapore too. Compilation:
- October 2015 - elderly woman's hand severed by lift in Singapore
- March 2016 - lift at AMK shoots up 17 floors, trapping maid for >1 hour
- May - man reverses wheelchair scooter out of lift, not noticing lift had stopped 15 cm above the floor, falls and hits head, dies
- June - boy's toes caught in escalator at Toa Payoh interchange
- June - 3-year-old boy's genitals caught in escalator in Malaysia
- June - woman suffers spine fracture in 5th lift accident in 8 months in Singapore
It's also a bad time for parenting. Compilation:
- March 2016 - 4-year-old girl beheaded in broad daylight in Taiwan
- May - (U.S.) 4-year-old boy gets into gorilla enclosure, critically endangered gorilla shot dead
- May - (Japan) 7-year-old boy abandoned by parents in forest containing bears
- June - (U.S.) 2-year-old boy killed by alligator in Florida
- June - (U.S.) Texas man leaves 6-month old (why isn't there a hyphen for month old but there is for year-old?) in hot car for 4 hours, then tries to save her - by placing her in the fridge
- June - Singapore 2 y.o. abused to death
- October 2015 Singapore - 3 month old Reyhana Qailah Mohamad Shiddiq had a broken skull, father admits to dropping her, and she dies in her father's care
- August 2016 - (Japan) father stabs 12-year-old son to death for not studying
- September - "Man found guilty of abusing his girlfriend's one-year-old baby, who suffered a broken skull"
- September - "Malaysian toddler drowns in ditch after grandfather forgets about him"
- September - "Baby allegedly left in car for 5 hours dies in Malaysia"
Famous people deaths:
- Muhammad Ali
- David Bowie
- Alan Rickman
- Gene Wilder
- Thai king Bhumibol Adulyadej
- Carrie Fisher
Controversy over SMRT sending trains back to China to repair cracks under warranty. Issues are why Hong Kong news reported this before local news and why the trains appeared to be secretly sent back.
NUS suspends orientation activities after complaints of raunchy games. Haha
Terrorist drives truck into crowd in Nice
Shooting in Munich shopping centre
Axe attack on a train in Wuerzburg, Germany
Machete attack in Germany
Bomb attack in Ansbach, Germany
Rio Olympics, Singapore wins first gold medal ever
Spread of Zika in Singapore
In May, Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat had a stroke. In August, PM Lee collapses during live National Day Rally.
Pokemon Go craze in Singapore
19 August - Samsung Note 7 released. 31 August - reports of batteries exploding. 12 September - first recall. 4 October - recalled phones begin to explode. 11 October - Samsung kills the Note 7.
Protests in South Korea against president Park Geun-hye, said to be influenced by and sharing national secrets with a cult. December - she is impeached
Trump elected next US president
Interference of unknown origin disrupts signals between MRT trains on the Circle Line, from September to November. It gets so bad they actually shut down mobile phone services in some tunnels on 2 September, then again on 3 and 4 November. In November they finally determined the source to be a rogue train number 46.
9 Singapore Armed Forces Terrex Infantry Carrier Vehicles are seized in Hong Kong on 23 Nov 16, on the way back to Singapore from training in Taiwan. As of 6 Dec there was still no official reason given.