Phone-wise, it's pretty much the same as previous iPhones. Yes, it's the biggest iPhone yet, but it's fit in every pocket I've tried so far. I wonder if (men's) pockets are mostly the same size, since phones top out at 5.5-5.7" (Note 4) and I don't think it's a coincidence. No, you can't fully use it with one hand. You can reach the entire screen with some maneuvering, if you support it against your body or don't mind just resting it on your hand (as opposed to gripping it, i.e. you can't hold it upside down).
There are some things they overlooked. Like the 6 Plus supports 6+1 rows of apps, but still only displays 9 apps in every folder:
There are some disappointing bugs:
- The first picture you take in a while doesn't make any sound. No shutter sound after updating ios 8.1 on iphone 5s No camera shutter sound on first shot. As I said, bookmarking threads in Apple help is frustratingly difficult and finding your bookmarks is mind-bogglingly harder. It's so ridiculously difficult it must have been done on purpose.
- Brightness control: opening Control Centre dims the screen, making accurately adjusting brightness impossible. They fixed this by un-dimming the screen when you touch the brightness slider. Sort of, it usually doesn't work on the first try. Another bug: sometimes, after adjusting brightness, when you release the slider, it jumps to another position.
- Some I've mentioned, mainly tapping on SMS notifications doesn't bring you to the SMS app. Sometimes.
- It was stuck on Continue Restoring. Fortunately I was able to cancel and didn't lose any data. On the bright side, most apps now restore data seamlessly, an improvement from 2 years ago.
- Echo/dual email notification sounds (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6561027) (http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/2igk9w/ios_802_email_sound_notifications_echodouble/)
- You know if you hold the back button in Safari it opens a list of previously visited sites (works in every browser I've seen)? Sometimes it misses out the most recent and only starts with sites from a certain time ago.
- Can we fix the "This message has no content." bug in Mail already?
Apple makes a big deal of their screen, and it certainly has improved a lot. Off the top of my head, these are the improvements: IPS, Retina resolution, gluing the touch sensor layer to the screen, now they say the iPhone 6 has UV photo alignment, dual-domain pixels, and an improved polariser. There are some independent measurements of the display tracking the improvements. But the touchscreen aspect seems oddly ignored. Surely it has changed from the first iPhone until now? One thing I'm wondering is, what's the touchscreen resolution? Surely not as high as the display. This is actually very important for things like the keyboard.
To be continued...