Also testing search program FileSeek, which has more features.
Update 22 Feb 13Ok I'm still having problems with Windows 7 search. It's appalling, in some important ways worse than Windows XP's. Let's see what's wrong.
- To find anything, it has to be indexed - you can't even search filenames if they're not indexed
- It indexes ridiculously few locations by default
- Even if it's supposed to be indexed, it isn't always indexed
- You can't force a search in non-indexed locations
- You can't force the index to update, only rebuild
- Cannot search inside pdf files
- It's giving me results for deleted files!
This guide is useful, but it still doesn't fix problems with the design of search i.e. everything depends on indexing.