29 October, 2011

Copic Multiliner

Actually, I love stationery. Looking at the pen blogs out there, I'm not the only one. I don't think I can compare with them though, so this is just a little post.

My favourite pen is the Uni-Ball Signo DX 0.38 mm. I like it because it's:
  • smooth
  • reliable
  • fine
  • waterproof
  • doesn't have a needle point. I don't like needle points because they get damaged if you press too hard. Otherwise, the Signo DX is the same as Pilot's G-Tec (Hi-Tec).
It has remained my favourite pen for >10 years. I recently found Copic's Multiliner, which might just become my second favourite pen.
  • Copic makes drawing instruments including pens and markers, so these pens are more for drawing. They're good for writing too.
  • Being for drawing, they have A LOT of options: 10 nib sizes, 12 colours
  • They're also very high quality - shape and colour consistency are key. Ink is waterproof and archival save (what is Copic proof?)
  • The paint on the Multiliner's body scratches off very easily - look at the word "Copic". Why?
  • The Multiliner is disposable, the Multiliner SP is refillable and the nibs are replaceable as well. The SP's body is made of aluminium and meant to last longer
  • I don't understand why people say they're expensive, the Multiliner is <$3 and the SP <$8. Refills are <$3. Unless the ink finishes extremely fast, they're about the same price as say Uni-Ball's Power Tank. And the money here goes into their quality, not like some branded writing pens.
  • I suspect (and this might be their key advantage over the Signo DX when writing) is the ink doesn't build up on the nib and smudge. This is especially obvious when drawing lines with a ruler.
  • Their disadvantage is you can't see how much ink is left
  • This is a close up of the SP's nib. How does it work? Is it a piece of plastic in a metal barrel? How do they get the ink to be consistent?
  • How does nib replacement work? They only seem to have 2 sizes of replacement nibs.

No comments:

Post a Comment