11 November, 2010

DIY Font

I've always wanted to make my own font, out of my handwriting and other styles. I found this site that does it, http://www.yourfonts.com. I know you can probably make it yourself with font editing software, but this site makes it easier.

Making a font is harder than you think. There's spacing, alignment and size to consider. They give you a template to print out and fill up, but you have to start over if you make a mistake and it's hard to keep the size consistent. What I did was write on a blank piece of paper and add the individual characters to the template using Photoshop. My final template was:
After you upload it, they convert it into a vector font file. It's pretty cool!

Now I'm wondering how to use custom fonts in Blogger. It's not trivial. The problem is, people have to have the font installed for them to see it. You can use Google's "custom" fonts, which is a list of about 10 fonts with their API. Although this is better than the 7 Blogger offers, you can't upload your own font.

Another method is to upload your font to some sites, which convert it into swf and javascript files. The problem with this method is you need a place to host those files, and I can't think of any right now. Blogger won't host files. The site where you host files must be publicly available.

The last option is to use images instead of text. The problem with this is they're larger, not selectable or searchable.

I'm still searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment