28 June, 2010

Joby Gorillapod SLR

Everyone who knows me knows that I have a knack for finding weird objects. So, when I chose a tripod, it was only natural that I bought the Gorillapod.


Hopefully the mouseover works this time.

The "prehensile" legs of the Gorillapod allow it to grip much more than a normal tripod. Uneven surfaces are not a problem, it can even grip poles! The Gorillapod SLR is rated to 800g. I bought it because the SLR Zoom, the next in the line, was out of my budget. Unfortunately I found out my D50 is 900g with the 18-55mm lens and 1.05kg with the SB-400 flash. The Gorillapod SLR can still support my D50 in normal tripod mode, but I'd be careful with more exotic positions.

I know there are similar tripods on eBay for half the price, but I still bought the Gorillapod because I think the strength of the legs is very important. They cannot be too stiff or too soft, like LEGO. Cheap models might loosen over time, or, even worse, drop your camera. So far, it's working well, but it doesn't seem to have enough friction to hang onto a pole sideways, even without my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment