28 June, 2010

Bad designs

Some notes on poor design, and things to avoid when designing a house. I'm no expert in houses, so I'm not sure how valid these points are. Maybe someone can tell me how common/valid these are?

My kitchen has a gap between the stove and the counter. This gap is inaccessible without moving out the stove, which is harder than moving the fridge. Very convenient to drop bits of food, sauce and the odd kitchen utensil. The mice living beneath the stove are very grateful.

Similarly for my bathroom, there is a gap between the bathtub and the sink. I've used toilet roll cores to block it so I don't drop my toothbrush into it. This picture, taken with bounce flash, looks more natural but the bottom picture, taken with direct flash, illuminates the gap.

The edge of the kitchen sink rises slightly above the level of the counter. If you drip water when turning the tap or splash water, where is it supposed to go? It'll just puddle on the counter and maybe drip into your cupboards.

No comments:

Post a Comment